TikTok has been growing very well over the last few years. It is a platform that offers short video editing, effects, room for original memes, and other creative content. However, the platform understands the need for parents to feel comfortable whenever their teen is using the app.
It is, therefore, crucial for parents, like in any other app, to understand how their teens are using them and the safety standards put in place for better raising of the kids. As a result, below are 10 tips that you can follow to make sure your teenage children enjoy using the app safely.
1. Device-level parental controls. Since TikTok is available for users above 13, there are ways of activating device-level parental controls to make sure that your children are safe. These are controls from Apple and Google that will mostly block the app from underaged children’s phones.
2. Who can follow them? The type of people that follow your teen should be of concern to you as a parent. Irrespective that your teen's account is private, it is possible to manage the type of people following them by either removing them or blocking at any time. It is an excellent way to prevent certain users from sending your teen, harmful content.
3. Set their account to private. TikTok accounts start in public mode by default. However, you can turn the to private. With a private account, it means that not every user will be able to access your teen's account. Followers can also be approved or denied. There is also a chance to block a user.
4. Control over the comment section. This is a feature that dictates whether to allow comments or not. It is simple and effective as it private bad comments.
5. Content limit. Limit the amount of content your teen can see. It is a feature that works by avoiding viewing a video that is not good for your teen by long-pressing the video, then tapping "Not Interested."
6. Restrict Duets. It is a feature that will allow your teen to decide who to make duets with or who can react. All you have to do is select enable/disable duets for a specific video.
7. Message preferences. It will make sure that your teens will receive messages from only private followers. It is also possible to block or unfollow users.
8. Report violation of guidelines. You have to keep the community safe by reporting any violation of TikTok guidelines to keep your children and the community safe.
9. Screen time cap. How much time should your teen be on that screen? You can limit that by use of a passcode to the time you want.
10. Create videos together. Through this method, it is easy to come up with safe videos together and teach them how to stay safe.